Saturday, February 12, 2011

Don't judge a book by its cover....

...But you can usually judge a book by its scathing Amazon reviews.

First up, the good: "This is Not the Life I Ordered" by Jan Yanehiro and friends. I'm not just saying this because Jan Yanehiro is awesome but this book is a delight.  Self-help books are generally boring as a genre, as the reader isn't looking for an entertaining fictional foray. But this book is different, in a good way. It's a pretty general self-help book although it is definitely aimed toward the less-testosterone crowd. I bought this book when I first moved to San Francisco because the title spoke to me, although I was hesitant because the cover looked more silly than pretty (in my critical opinion) and, after making some life-changig decisions that I was beginning to question, I was looking for serious help. This book provides that, but with lighthearted humor. It uses personal stories, cute cartoons and tools like "WIT kit", and quotes from famous fearless women like Eleanor Roosevelt to give advice and inspiration. Besides the cover my only criticism for the book is a few of the suggestions are unrealistic for most readers. It advises to start a weekly kitchen table meeting with about a dozen of your fabulous female friends. Well, I didn't have a kitchen table in my tiny apartment, and after moving to a big city where I only knew a handful of people (which thankfully included my sister extraordinaire), I certainly didn't have a fabulous circle of close friends for advice. Which is why I was buying this book. But aside from that, the journal and Wit Kit suggestions were great as well as the quotes and cartoons, so I highly recommend this book!

Next, the bad: Citizen GIrl by Emma McLaughlin and NIcola Kraus. The cover was eye-catching. Simple, bright, red turquoise and white, a big coffee cup with a cutesy logo, and a catchy title: Citizen Girl. It's about a smart twentysomething girl who works in non-profit (LOVE!). Oh, and it's by the authors of the Nanny Diaries...I loved that book, and the movie too! This book is definitely several steps down from "The Nanny Diaries" in writing, plot, and characters. Shouldve known, never judge a book by its cover. 
After forcing myself to read this book to the end, I checked the reviews out of curiosity, and wondered if I was being too critical, or if anyone else read it and wept from the sheer torture. I found some comfort in knowing that I was not alone in absolutely abhorring this book. 
First of all, the girl is named Girl. REally? Not creative, but fitting in that she does not act like a woman but instead a whiny, overly analytical little girl. The writing attempts to be young and hip with witty dialogue, but just comes off as contrived. The boss she whines about incessantly, wait for it...is named Guy. Wow. And her boyfriend is named Buster and he's a dud but she loves him. I won't waste your time whining about how bad this is, if you want to read more whining please read this book. Or don't and save your money for....

when I first heard about this. DId not think it was real. A high-end Hello Kitty cosmetic line for Sephora? I love hello kitty, but WHY? YOu can get your cheap lipgloss and nail polish in Hello Kitty packaging fix at sanrio stores or target. Naturally I was skeptical about a higher priced Hello Kitty brand but Sephora and Sanrio lover that I am, had to investigate. THe packaging is not your typical flimsy pink plastic fluff. It's glass and silver in the familiar hello kitty head shape. Pretty, but what about the stuff inside? Everything I tested seemed pretty average. For $55, the perfume's biggest plus is the attractive atomizer, but the scent itself was a run of the mill sweet apple and musk with minimal staying power. The cosmetics run about 10-20 for most items and have a limited range of color, unsurprisingly, a lot of pink tones. The apple lip balm comes in an awkward apple shaped container and is nothing special. The stick glosses and balms are cutely packaged but seem on par with quality drugstore products in texture and pigmentation. In summary, everything is cute, costs a little more than it should because of said cute packaging, but if you're a diehard Hello Kitty fan, go ahead and buy, but know that you're paying for the cute, not necessarily the quality or color range. (I personally would skip the cosmetics and splurge on the accessories, like the rhinestone compact, charm necklace or silver brushes) Sometimes it's okay to judge a book and like it mostly because of the cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.