Sunday, February 6, 2011

Review of "The Social Network"

Hokay so, it's not a book. It's not even about a book. But it IS about facebook, and that's prettynerdy, right? (also, the facebook was an actual book back in the day, but more on that later.)
I know I'm late but I finally watched it last night and was inspired to rave about it and recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. 
This David Fincher-directed breakout film starts off with a relatable breakup scene and is followed by lots of witty dialogue and superb acting, and a great musical score by Trent Reznor (from NIN...really?!) With his smart sarcasm and sloppy wardrobe, Jessie Eisenberg captures Mark Zuckerberg's anger and awkwardness; making you torn between thanking him for his technological contributions and punching him in his smirking face. All the characters did a wonderul job of portraying college students caught in both the cutthroat Ivy League and computer nerd worlds. 
Speaking of nerds, this movie made me all nerd-stalgic because it was filmed where I went to high school in Andover, along with one of the co-creators of facebook who sadly didn't have a big part in the movie. The hazing scene is on the steps of our school cafeteria (where I've also seen projectile vomiting, except for real)! And those dreary dorms made me recall the nights when my friends and I would procrastinate by poring over the Phillips Academy Facebook, which was a spiral bound paperback book. And yes, much like FaceSmash, we sometimes used the facebook to rate and prank classmates..shame on us! But without the primitive facebook, there would not be the incredible albeit invasive internet Facebook we are all so attached to today. 
Overall, I think this movie does a wonderful job of telling the story behind the social networking empire, but with a shiny Hollywood glossing. Alas, the girlfriend who dumped Mark was completely fictional, and on a whole the events probably weren't as glamorous or dramatic as they were in the movie, with all the romance and rendezvous, but sometimes, you need to pretty up the nerdy to woo the audience. Apparently it worked...the social network did amazingly well in theaters and with critics. and now it is up for Oscar nominations, and I sure would "like" (haha) to see it win something. What did you think about the social network? I give it an A for AWESOME (and myself a C for CORNY)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.